Ahhh... spring time and the strawberries are bountiful (and in most cases on sale) at the store. I always get roped in by the deals and buy way too many strawberries. I don't mind though, extra strawberries means baking and I really love to bake. Is there anything better than the smell of strawberry cake cooking in the oven? Try out this recipe and you tell me.
Strawberry Pound Cake w/ Strawberry Honey Glaze
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
for the Glaze:
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (may need more)
1 cup strawberry puree
2 Tbsp. honey (may need more)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour (I use Baker's Joy, works like a charm) an 8-inch loaf pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add the flour and blend well. Stir in the vanilla and almond extract, and set aside.
- Add the salt to the egg whites, beat until you have stiff peaks. Delicately fold first the egg whites and then the strawberries into the batter, until blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave in the pan to cool. Once cool, invert onto serving plate.
For the Cake:
- To make strawberry puree, put 15 strawberries in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- In a small bowl, stir in honey and powdered sugar into the strawberry puree gradually until the icing reaches the desired consistency and sweetness (taste often, as if that's a problem). Drizzle glaze over top of cooled cake.
For the Glaze: